Thursday, April 10, 2008

Provoking Our Children

I found this post over at Pulpit Magazine interesting. It explores Paul's command in Ephesians 6:4, "do not provoke your children." As MacArthur says;
To “provoke . . . to anger” suggests a repeated, ongoing pattern of treatment that gradually builds up a deep–seated anger and resentment that boils over in outward hostility.
He then goes on to list 8 ways in which we can provoke our children. I'll list them briefly, but do go to the article to read further.

1. Overprotection
2. Favouritism
3. Pushing for achievement
4. Discouragment
5. Failing to sacrifice for your children
6. Failing to let children grow up at their own pace
7. Using love as a tool of reward or punishment
8. Physical and verbal abuse

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi there! I love your blog. Thanks for all the great information. I just thought I would mention a series by Denny Kenaston called "The Godly Home." I found it on Sermonindex.net. It is also a good sermon series on raising Godly children.

Thanks again.

Melissa

Nicki said...

Thanks Melissa, I'll need to add that to my list of things to listen to...

Jennifer in OR said...

Great list; feeling a little convicted here...