Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Stay At Home Mum's

This report from Reuters brought a smile to my face today...
If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released on Wednesday.

The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother's work were housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.

I wonder what we'd earn if they actually took into account the more than 10 jobs stay-at-home mum's do!

(HT: Justin Taylor)

6 comments:

ukrainiac said...

As the old MasterCard ads used to say: PRICELESS!

Susan said...

To all of you Nita, Catriona, and Nicki: Well I don't think I got everyone's names right... sorry!!!

First of all, I've enjoyed your site. So thanks for the resources you put out there.

I am emailing because I took a job in a public HS. I've done all I could and finally got fed up. My question is do any of you have children in the public school? And what are your thoughts on public school?

Thanks!

Susan Byun (Corpus Christi)

Nicki said...

Susan,

I take it by public school you mean "state" funded education (as public schooling in the UK means private education)?

If you are asking about homeschooling or sending our children to a local school, both Catriona and I are not quite at that stage (our kids are all under 4), but we both plan not to homeschool. Nita has 2 kids in their 20's and she and her husband also sent them to local schools.

Here in the UK, homeschooling from my observation is not a big thing as it is in the US. I would refer you to a post written by Tim Challies today that I found of great help in understanding both views.

http://www.challies.com/archives/002542.php

Susan said...

Just wanted to say thank you. You sent me to the perfect site.


Grace and peace be with you
or I should say y'all :)
Susan

Diane said...

I hope you ladies don't mind, but I tagged the three of you on my blog to tell us 7 random facts/habits about yourselves. I enjoy reading your blog, and it would be nice for the rest of us to get to know you better.

Maggie said...

Wow! that article on how much a stay at home mommy would be paid is fascinating. Im hoping to get married soon and I wish to be a stay at home mum and take care of my kids. I have always thought that having your own profitable home based business is the way to go as it can grow with you you giving you the time for family and minsitry.