Friday, March 16, 2007

Titus 2 Truths: To Love their Children Pt 3

We're having one of those months in our house when our son's behaviour is far from acceptable! My husband and I are finding that we are spending more time disciplining him than we ever thought imaginable! When we're not disciplining him, most of the rest of the time is spent asking in frustration: 'why is he behaving like this?' I know we are not the only parents of a three year old going through stages like this. However, in thinking about our series on how we must learn to love our children, I find that I'm challenged more than ever about how to love Glen in a way that is pleasing to God and good for him.

As I 'hit the books' to gain some godly wisdom and advice I was struck by something that Carolyn Mahaney shares in her book, Feminine Appeal. In looking for inspiration on how to discipline, I was challenged more about the attitudes and thoughts I have about my son (and daughter too, as she has her moments!). So many times after it seems World War III has erupted and ended, I'm left thinking negative things about Glen and I ponder on the frustration, hard work, tiredness and burden of it all. Carolyn writes:

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!" Psalm 127:3-5
What words or images come to mind when you think about your children? Are you inclined like I was to think: work, responsibility, sacrifice, burden, more work? Look at the words the psalmist used to describe children: heritage, fruit, reward, arrows. Then he followed with this exclamation: "Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

Our speech and actions are shaped by our thoughts. Therefore, we must make every effort to think Psalm 127 kinds of thoughts about our children. Thinking of them as a heritage, a reward, and a blessing will alter our attitude and provide the fertile soil for our tender love to grow.
In the next couple of months our quiver will be the recipient of yet another arrow. So many times when things get difficult with the little rewards I already have, I panic at how I'll manage with another. My challenge to you and more importantly, myself, is to think tender thoughts of my children despite their wayward behaviour. Although I'm not to blame for my children's sinful behaviour, as a parent, I am held responsible for my thoughts, words, attitudes and actions when it comes to loving my children. Sadly, I fear, I spend too much time planting and watering on infertile soil so that my love for my children is stunted and does not grow as it should. Carolyn's words were a timely reminder of my responsibility to tenderly think about and appreciate my children for the blessing they are to my husband and myself.


5 comments:

Michelle- This One's For The Girls said...

I've been enjoying your blog for a few days now. Many great posts...

I'm doing a book review for our ladies' fellowship this Saturday on Feminine Appeal. It is one of the best Titus 2 books I've ever read.

ellen b. said...

I wanted to let you know that I linked to your site on one of my posts (Take every thought captive) because I borrowed part of your quote from Susannah Spurgeon and wanted to give the credit where it was due. Thank you.
ellen B.
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

Kim said...

Wonderful reminders here! Thanks!

Kim

Mrs. "M" said...

Thanks for this post. I have a three year old that challenges me on a regular basis. You are so right about how I think about him. I have been convicted about how I speak to others about his behaviour and have stopped....but my thought life still needs some changing.
I think I will memorize that scripture.

jennifer said...

I am a regular visitor of your blog and always find something new at your site. I have come up with some new findings and want to share it with you. We just introduced Kincafe- www.kincafe.com. This is for families to come together. I would like you for review of the service and provide feedback to andy@kincafe.com.

Thank you
Jennifer