Thursday, February 15, 2007

"The Shadow of Your Wings"

Today I want to recommend a CD that I heard for the first time about a month or so ago on a women's weekend away. Yesterday, the CD became a part of my own music collection when Colin bought me it for Valentine's Day!

The Shadow of Your Wings: Hymns and Sacred Songs is the 11th album from Fernando Ortego, released last October. It is a mixture of hymns and new songs written by Fernando, beautifully arranged with merely a piano and at times accompanied by a chamber orchestra.

The CD can be described as pensive, reflective and definitely appropriate for the more mellowed listening ear. Much of the inspiration is taken from The Book of Common Prayer, specifically sequenced for quiet and reflective times. Fernando explains:
There is too little time for reflection in my life these days - too little meditation and quiet. As everything about our culture gets louder and more "in-your-face," my ability to concentrate on spiritual things feels thin and compromised. These songs were written in response to that dilemma.

My starting point was the Morning Mass from The Book of Common Prayer, a pronouncement of peace, prayers of contrition, the bending of the knee. These things bring me to a right perspective for worship.

From there the record turns to the Holy Trinity - the faithfulness of the Father, the wooing of the Holy Spirit, the sacrifice and supremacy of Christ.
I really enjoyed this CD and envision myself listening to it when needing some quiet background music. I can also see it aiding me in keeping a meditative focus on God in everyday life: when the dishes, the ironing, the dusting and cooking need doing!

Some of the hymns included are: 'All Creatures of our God and King', 'Great is Thy Faithfulness', 'Sing to Jesus and Saviour', 'Like a Shepherd Lead Us.' If you are open to listening to some of these classics set to new melodies then this CD is for you. Perhaps these renditions can't compete with the original tune which made some of these hymns great, however Fernando does bring a new and fresh appreciation of the words through his creative arrangements.

As for Fernando's new songs almost all of them are rooted in Scripture. The opening song is fittingly called 'Grace and Peace' based on 2 Thessalonians 1:2, followed by 'All Flesh Is Like the Grass' (Isaiah 40:6-8). 'Open My Lips' and 'Come, Let Us Worship' (Psalm 95:6-7) are two of the better compositions, though my personal favourite is 'Oh God, You Are My God' based on Psalm 63.

I hope you will take the opportunity to listen in on a few demos at Fernando's website here and if you enjoy it, you can buy it online or in any reputable Christian book store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Fernando's soothing voice and I love the way he sings hymns. Thanks for letting me know about this. It's going on my wish list right away!
joanna in Ca. usa