Thursday, January 04, 2007

Unashamed Workman

I couldn't get away this month without posting about my husbands new blog and give him some free advertising. It's not the least bit womanly but if you are married to, or know of a preacher then this site would perhaps be of interest.

Unashamed workman seeks to serve those who endeavour to fulfil Paul's mandate to Timothy: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed, and who correctly handles the word of truth." (2 Tim 2:15) Colin writes:
The overarching theme, of course, is preaching, and I’d like us to consider it in as wholistic a manner as possible. Therefore, we’ll cover everything from why we preach (the theology of preaching), to what we preach(as it emerges from preparation and ends in delivery), to life outside the pulpit (yes, there is such a thing!).

I plan to blog at least once a day, Monday through Saturday, leaving Sunday a rest day in blogland, since no doubt many of you will be toiling in preaching and prayer that day.

Each day of the week will have a basic theme:

Mondays: “Beyond the Workshop” - Since Monday is also my day off with my family, it seems an apt time to reflect on all matters relating to the kind of preacher I am, such as my personal relationship with God, my wife and children.

Tuesdays: “Classic Materials” - On this day we’ll enjoy an extended quote from any one of the ancient (mostly) or modern lights in preaching. Expect plenty of Jones, Spurgeon, Whitefield, and Edwards here.

Wednesdays: “Under Construction” - Since like many of you, I’m involved in preparing and preaching regular sermons, I’ll be reflecting on things I’m working through with regards my methods and manner of preparation and delivery.

Thursdays: “Workmen Watch” - In any craft, skills are often learned as we watch and learn from experts in the trade. Every week, I try to listen to at least a few sermons online, and I’ll be reviewing a sermon each week from a variety of modern preachers to see what I can learn.

Fridays: “Work ethics” - Here, I’ll be looking for a month at a time at various aspects of the preaching task. For example, I may take a month of Friday’s to look at what different people have decided about use of notes or manuscript, as opposed to completely extemporary. Or we may spend a whole month pondering how best to preach from the major prophets.

Saturday
: “Tools for the Toolshed” - On Saturday, I’ll link to anything I’ve found on a given week that might be of benefit to preaching. This will be “around the blogs” with an eye open for things helpful to preachers.

Posting started daily on January 1st and is well worth a look.

1 comment:

TulipGrrl said...

*L* I had JUST been at your husband's site a few minutes ago, before surfing in here. . . Sometimes it feels like a small blogworld.