Thursday, November 02, 2006

Songs for the Cross Centred Life

A few weeks ago I recommended a book by C.J. Mahaney called Living the Cross Centered Life. Sovereign Grace Ministries have also produced a CD of songs to go with the book called Songs for the Cross Centered Life, and after reading the book I ordered it. It arrived after only a few days and I have played it many times since. It is great value as it has 15 tracks and all of them focus on the cross of Christ. The thing I love about the songs from Sovereign Grace is that there are no wasted words - all the lyrics are incredibly meaningful and based solidly on Scripture.

The music is also excellent, with interesting arrangements and a variety of styles. Also included are several older hymns set to new music, including a lovely version of Alas, And Did My Saviour Bleed, by Issac Watts. My personal favourite on the album is a song called Before the Cross. Every time I hear it, it brings a lump to my throat!

"Before the Cross I humbly bow
I place my trust in the Saviour;

Your finished work captures my gaze
You bore the wrath, I know the Grace."


I've been listening to this CD in the car and in the kitchen when I'm making dinner or unloading the dishwasher. I can't think of anything better to be reminded of throughout the day than what Christ has done for us on the cross.

You can listen to excerpts from the CD here and order it direct from Sovereign Grace here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read about you ladies....I think from Tim Challies blog. I just wanted to say hello from California, and to tell you that I've added you to my daily blog reading. :)
Blessings-
Joanna

Eva said...

I love the music that comes from Sovereign Grace too. My husband has some input in choosing our church's music, and many of the songs we sing are from Sovereign Grace. I love the depth of the theology in them. I like them for the same reason I used to say I liked hymns better than worship choruses: they teach valuable biblical doctrine and lead us into God's presence.

thebluefish said...

It's a really good CD, as are the rest of their cross-centred music resources... later songs like Grace Unmeasured, The Precious Blood are simply outsanding.