Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Cross Centred Life

I've just finished reading Living the Cross Centred Life by C.J. Mahaney and I'd thoroughly recommend it. In the introduction, Mahaney asks:

"What really is the main thing in your life? Only one thing can truly be first in priority; so what's at the top of your list, second to none? Or let me put it this way: what are you most passionate about? What do you love to talk about? What do you think about most when your mind is free?"

I guess we would all have a range of answers to these questions, but Mahaney argues in this book that, for the Christian, the central thing in our lives should be the cross of Christ. He brings us near to the cross by taking us through the main events of the death of Jesus and then shows us that we should never move on from this. We should make a conscious effort each day to bring the message of the cross into our lives. In one very helpful chapter, Mahaney gives practical suggestions for how we can do this by memorizing the gospel, praying the gospel, singing the gospel and reviewing how the gospel has changed you.

This is not a long book and I read it in a couple of days - I encourage you to read it for yourselves as it is time well spent.

"Oh the precious blood of Christ the crucified;
It speaks for me before Your throne where I stand justified."

Peter Gagnon, The Precious Blood

No comments: