Thursday, September 21, 2006

Practical Parenting

I'm finally getting around to writing something as my 10-week-old is asleep and my 2-year-old is sticking stickers all over the sofa. Oh well...

I was recently browsing on the married life blog and came across two parenting seminars given by Kenneth Maresco, a pastor at Covenant Life Church in Maryland. They are available for download here. They are a long listen at around an hour each, but it is time very well spent as they are full of practical advice on training and disciplining our children according to Scripture.

One point he makes that I've found particularly helpful is the need to train our children to obey us. We need to create reasonable boundaries and then teach our children by modelling or example how to stay within them. It's hard work but such an important task:

"Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death." Proverbs 19:18

No comments: