Thursday, January 08, 2009

Not To Us

This next week will bring a measure of sadness as two friends leave Edinburgh to embark on journey's that the Lord has mapped out for each of them. Catriona and Rachel (a.k.a fellow bloggers) are moving on. On Saturday our church will be rejoicing with Rachel as she marries John and then moves down to London. Not only will she be beginning married life with John, but she will become a pastor's wife!

Next Thursday sees my closest friend over the years move over to Charlotte, North Carolina. Catriona also embarks on a new chapter of life as she supports James in his new teaching role at RTS and takes up the privileged opportunity of giving up paid employment to work at home with her two lovely girls.

At times like this it is easy to become wrapped up in ourselves. We dwell on our sadness and become quite selfish as we think about the ways in which we will "lose out". We aren't always mindful of our sovereign God whose ways are altogether good, sanctifying us and bringing glory to his name. I'm therefore reminded, even in these difficult times, the words of Psalm 115;
Not to us, O Lord, not to us
But to your name be the glory,
Because of your love and faithfulness
And it is because of His love and faithfulness that I have had the great joy of partnering with these two amazing women in the work of the Gospel. And so, to God be the glory.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your post reminded me so much of my life here. We live in a town with a large medical school so we get wonderful people moving in every June and wonderful people moving away every July. They come, stay for three years and usually leave for distant places. This has taught us a lot of the same lessons you've mentioned.

But another that comes to mind is that it has focused me much more on the fleetingness of time. I feel the good pressure to give what I can, when I can, while I can. There is no taking it for granted that I'll see them again until heaven. Makes it more important to focus our time on learning to obey all that Christ commanded. This has been a good discipline for me to drop away the superficial. Thanks for the reminder.