Sunday, April 20, 2008

Courage under adversity


As you will know if you read this blog, from time to time we look to women from the past to see what we can learn from their example. I've recently been reading a book written in 1884 (I do read modern books too!) called Annals of the Disruption. This is a detailed account of the Disruption of the Church of Scotland which occured in 1843 and resulted in the formation of the Free Church of Scotland. You can find out more about this here, but briefly summarised, the Disruption was the breaking away of a group of ministers from the established Church of Scotland. The reasons for this were centred around the headship of the church, with those breaking away fighting for Christ to be given his true place at the head of the church.

Breaking from the established Church of Scotland had great consequences for those ministers involved as they forfeited their salaries, church buildings and the manses they lived in. One minister's wife from the time, Mrs Parker of Lesmahagow wrote of the difficulties faced by the ministers' families, and her own situation:
So far as I can judge,...the Church in her present struggles is doing no more than her duty to her great Head;...No one values more than I do my present comforts, and few are less qualified for making sacrifices and enduring hardships, and sometimes my very heart is sore when I look at my dear children; but I trust that God in His providence may prepare a place for us - a sphere of duty where my dearest husband may exercise those gifts with which God has endowed him.

Although our circumstances are probably not so dramatic today, still God can call us out of comfort and into hardship. I pray that, like Mrs Parker, we can trust our future to God's guiding hand, where ever he may lead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I wholeheartedly agree with the Biblical view of womanhood. However I really have to comment about this website. This may sound a trivial matter. However, I cannot understand why most books and websites insist on using the colour pink. Can we not be more varied in our colours? Is pink the defining colour for being female?


I am sorry if I sound very petty. I am sure your articles are very good.

Nicki said...

For the design of this blog blogger could only offer us pink or boggin' green! Mmmm..we went with pink (and blue/grey which I reckon there is more of than pink :)!)