Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"Between the Dreaming & the Coming True"

Today I want to break from our Wise Words for Women to recommend some more music to you! Christmas brought a few new CD's to the Adams' household, one being Bebo Norman's latest, Between the Dreaming & the Coming True. This might not sound like much of a recommendation when I mention that it is only in the last couple of weeks that it has featured in our car CD player!

The album is inspired primarily by themes of light vs. darkness and fear vs. hope. Bebo says: "You can't understand light until you understand darkness, because that is where life is often most lived...somewhere between the two. It's messy and it's beautiful, all at the same time."

These themes are expressed in such songs as "Into the Day" that speaks of the offering of hope in a new day; "Time Takes its Toll on Us" concentrates on finding beauty amid pain and "I Will Lift My Eyes" draws on Psalm 121, reminding us where our present help comes from. For me these are three of the best on the CD.

What makes this CD different from his others is that Bebo now finds himself married! Previous albums speak much of the loneliness he experienced as a single guy, where now we find a few love songs such as "The Way we Mend" with its gorgeous melody and lyrics which speak of keeping humility in marriage.

If you enjoy Caedemon's Call, Stephen Curtis Chapman or even Michael W Smith, you'll enjoy this similar style of music. My only critique, as with much contemporary music these days, is that Jesus yet again fails to be explicitly mentioned! There is no doubt that this is a Godward focussed album, it just never mentions the saviour by name. That aside, I still find myself hitting the play button.

2 comments:

Wielding the Sword said...

I am relieved to know it is not just me who is disturbed by the lack of mentioning "Jesus" in contemporary Christian music!

Anonymous said...

I don't mind that artists don't mention the name of Jesus. We know who they are talking about, or at least who gets the glory, even though His name isn't mentioned.
I just added this cd to my wish list.
Today I received the new Fernando Ortega cd that you recently posted about. I haven't played it yet.
Please don't mention great music too often-you aren't doing any favors to our bank account! :)
joanna in ca. usa