Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas Sweets

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my family's Christmas tradition of making sweets for friends and neighbours. Well, stage one of the process began yesterday afternoon as we made tablet, chocolate fudge and stuffed dates with marzipan. I thought I'd post a couple of recipes in case you are searching for something sweet and easy to make in the run up to Christmas.

The chocolate fudge recipe I found on the Reflections of the Times blog (HT: Rebecca Writes) and I can testify is really is very easy to make and tastes great! For UK readers, 3 cups is about 600g of chocolate.

And for those of you who want to try an authentic Scottish treat, here is my Mum's recipe for tablet. Tablet is fudge which has been beaten to give it a crumbly, melt-in-the-mouth consistency (and to give you a sore arm - but it's worth the effort!). I'm sorry that the ingredients are all in imperial measures. It's an old recipe and I'm hopeless at converting to metric.

Tablet

Ingredients:
2 lbs sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp butter
2 teacups (about 375 ml) fresh milk

Put all the ingredients into a large pan, stir and put on a low heat. Leave until it comes to the boil then simmer gently for 20 minutes (set a timer). After this time add a few drops of vanilla essence. Remove from the heat and beat with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes. Pour into a square or rectangular container (about 8" diameter) and chill to set. When set, cut into small (1") squares.

2 comments:

Ellen B. said...

What is golden syrup? Is there another description of it that might be available in the USA?
thanks,
LNB from Seattle

Catriona said...

Good question! I believe you can substitute light corn syrup for golden syrup. The brand of golden syrup best known in the UK is Lyle's which does appear to available somewhere in the US! See here.

Have a lovely Christmas,
Catriona