Thursday, October 05, 2006

Four Women who Lived for God

Well it seems that we have reached that point in our blog where the puritans have made a feature! Not only has Catriona being delving into John Flavel, I have been doing some reading around in Puritan land this week also. However, I must confess, I have taken the easier route and I am not reading any of the great works from the Puritans themselves, but rather a biography of some of their wives and other females from around the 1600's-1800's. Sharon James' book, In Trouble & in Joy portrays four Christian women of the past, two who married Puritans, one who remained notably single, the other who is well known for her prolific writing of books and hymns; all of whom exemplified godliness in quite remarkable ways. Sharon looks at Margaret Baxter, the wife of Richard Baxter; Sarah Edwards, married to Jonathan Edwards; Anne Steele, who refused offers of marriage in order to remain single and Frances Ridley Havergal the writer of that great hymn, 'Take My Life and Let it Be.' Therefore, over my next few posts I hope to introduce these amazing women to you and share some of the ways in which their lives have displayed what it means to be consecrated to God. As they say, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: