Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Recipe Round Up

At Rebecca Writes this week there is a Recipe Round Up where there'll be a collection of recipes for cookies, cakes, sweets etc. I thought I'd throw in our tuppence worth and re-post Catriona's Mum's recipe for an authentic Scottish treat - tablet.

Tablet is fudge which has been beaten to give it a crumbly, melt-in-the-mouth consistency (and to give you a sore arm - but it's worth the effort!).

Ingredients:
2 lbs sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp butter
2 teacups (about 375ml) fresh milk

Put all the ingredients into a large pan, stir and put on a low heat. Leave until it comes to the boil then simmer gently for 20 minutes (set a timer). After this time add a few drops of vanilla essence. Remove from the heat and beat with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes. Pour into a square or rectangular container (about 8" diameter) and chill to set. When set, cut into small (1") squares.

4 comments:

Amydeanne said...

sounds interesting!! I may have to try it!

btw, your poll about santa at xmas time; I don't do it at xmas time, but we do Sinterklaas Dec. 5th. (the dutch version of santa.. so we don't relate it with christmas)

rosemary from seasoningsoftheheart.com said...

I'm not familiar with Scottish tablet, but if it's even remotely as good as Scottish shortbread, it would be worth stirring for five minutes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Helenka said...

I tried this recipe last time it was posted. You might want to check the amount of milk since it seemed too much to me.

Catriona said...

Hi Helenka, The perils of a very old recipe I'm afraid. The amount of milk is two British teacups which I've just measured out and is about 375 ml. If you use two American cups I think it would be too much. I'll ammend the recipe -thanks for pointing it out!