Tuesday, March 27, 2007

In the Company of Angels II

I have enjoyed the music of Caedmon's Call for quite a while and at the end of last year I bought their latest worship CD, In the Company of Angels: The World will Sing. As with volume one of this series, the album features a mix of new worship songs and older hymns given a new lease of life with fresh tunes. Also, several songs are very Christ-focussed, which can be less obvious with some Christian music.

Several songs stand out for me including the new arrangements of "Draw me Nearer" by Fanny Crosby and "I Surrender All" by Judson W. Van De Venter. Another favourite is a song based on an ancient Chinese hymn text, "Sing His Love":
"Though the world may change its fashion
Yet our God is ever the same
His compassion and His covenant
Through all ages will remain"
It's a good CD for listening to in the kitchen or the car, or you could certainly use it to prompt private worship. Musically, there are no surprises, but that is partly why I like Caedmon's Call - you know what you will get, and it's usually pretty good!

No comments: